The new SC Stay program from SC Housing provides assistance to households unable to pay rent or mortgage payments due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The application period is now open for the program that may cover up to six months of rental or mortgage payments, up to $7,500, for eligible applicants.
The S.C. State Housing Finance and Development Authority (SC Housing) has been tasked by the State of South Carolina as the lead agency in providing safe, decent and affordable housing for all citizens of South Carolina.
Through Community Development Block Grants made available through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and the S.C. Department of Commerce, approximately $25 million in CARES Act funding will be made available for rental and mortgage assistance to eligible low-income families in South Carolina.
CDBG funding will be available for up to six consecutive months of short-term rental and mortgage assistance for applicant individuals and families who meet the following requirements:
- Must certify that they are eligible and their income is at or below 80% of the county median income adjusted by family size.
- Must demonstrate that they are unable to pay all or part of the rent or mortgage, or are behind on their rent or mortgage, due to circumstances stemming from the coronavirus. Examples of this include, but are not limited to:
- Lost wages due to layoff;
- Reduced hours as a result of an employer going out of business or a reduction of staff; or
- Inability to work due to infection with COVID-19 and required quarantine or a quarantine of a family member, etc.
- Must have landlord or lender confirmation of their past-due status and be willing to accept payment on their behalf.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control has issued a national eviction moratorium through March 31, 2021. But the moratorium does not stop all evictions and does require renters to take action for eviction protection.
South Carolina Legal Services has a guide to help renters who are facing eviction. It details the steps that renters must take to seek protection. You can also contact them directly at 1-888-346-5592.
Frequently asked questions for those wishing to apply for this program are posted at South Carolina Housing’s website, https://www.schousing.com/Home/SC-Stay.